Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My FOURTH week in Mississippi!

Isn't that WEIRD?  Next week will be a full transfer!!! #weird
I feel like I say "weird" a lot.  Every day is weird, I guess. 

A lot of missionaries say that the first few months are the longest and then after that the days just FLY by.  I don't believe them.  But I guess that's because I'm still in the first few months.  haha 

We were on bikes last week and it was sooo humid!   We were melting!

One of the highlights of last week, though, was starting a list of reasons why people won't talk to us.  Some are legitimate ("We're eating supper.  Sorry!") but some are ridiculous.  I don't have a lot so far but I want to see how long I can keep this list going.   It makes it more humorous than just discouraging!  “You have small dogs? Really?  That's why you can't talk to us?”  

One lady was really funny. She came outside and told us about her grandbabies and her great-grandbabies and her dogs and her church and how her nephew finally married this one girl and she was SO happy... It went on for like 20 minutes and every time we would steer the conversation to why we were there she'd say, "Oh I just had leg surgery and I can't stand for very long!  I need to go in!" and then she'd talk about her grandbabies for like 5 more minutes. This happened repeatedly.  haha 

One of the recurring topics was the Rapture.  As we were tracting, we met a man who kept firing questions at us!  "What do you believe about the Rapture?"  "Where will the righteous go at the 2nd Coming?”  “Why wouldn't Christ reign here if He created the earth?"  "What kind of Bible do you read?"  It was great.  He agreed with ALL of our answers:  "Yeah, that makes sense."  (He called us "ma'am" the WHOLE time.  This guy was like in his 70s and he was calling US ma'am!  The south, I tell you.)  We're going to go back this week!  I'm excited to teach him more!

All the driveways in this area are all covered in SEASHELLS!  Guess how... from Hurricane Katrina, 10 years ago!  It's crazy!  We wander around these backroads out in the COUNTRY and, when we walk up a driveway, it's covered in seashells.  It's so weird. 

This picture was taken right on the coast, though :) 
I doubt I'll get as good of a collection of photos with animals that Amy had... although I did see a donkey yesterday (just chilling in someone's front yard. That sums up the area pretty nicely... COUNTRY).

I look a little crazy/terrified in this picture because IT WAS TRYING TO EAT MY RING.  #scary
On Friday, my companion and I were blessed by a Catholic Deacon! #score  We met him while tracting and he was severely not interested in listening to our message, but he was really nice to us and told us that he admired all that we were doing and gave us a blessing.  I've found that most people in the south are really nice.  In all the tracting I've done so far, I can think of maybe 2 people who just looked at us and shut the door.  Most people open the door and see what we want and then share what Jesus has done for them in their lives.  Some agree to learn more!  At Zone Conference, we learned that HALF of the baptisms in our mission come from straight tracting.  The other half say, "Oh, I'm Catholic." or "Oh, I'm Baptist." like that's going to stop us from saying anything else. "Oh you're BAPTIST? Oh we didn't understand. Clearly we don't need to have any more of a conversation."  NO.  We say, "That's GREAT that you're Baptist!  We have more for you!"  It even works sometimes!

On Saturday we did a LOT of service.  First, we helped at the Bishop's storehouse (which we do every other Saturday).  Then we helped a family move into the ward and then we cleaned our car for zone conference. (Yay for wearing pants!)  We were so tired.  But then, 2 sisters from the ward took us out for dinner! We went to an authentic Mexican place and it was GOOD.  We had fried ice cream and IT WAS SO GOOD.  I don't get it but it was good.

Our teen investigator came to church on Sunday!  She stayed for all 3 hours and I went to Young Women with her!  (Anything to sneak back into Young Women...)

We had zone conference literally all day yesterday (Monday).  I've never had zone conference before and it was so good!  I love President and Sister McDonough!  They sure hold to the rules but they are so nice!  And, our car won for the cleanest of all the cars from 2011! (because we literally have the only car from 2011).  But hey!  We still won!  I learned how to check all the liquids and stuff.  I'll probably forget by next zone conference but, at least for right now, I sure know where that brake fluid is.

 

It was pouring as we drove home from Zone Conference in Gulfport yesterday!  It's supposed to rain allll week too.  And we have to give the car to the Elders on Wednesday.  Boo.  We always seem to be on bikes when it rains...

RAIN.

Last night we taught 2 young men (ages 13 and 16) about the Book of Mormon and I think it went really well!  We wanted to make sure that they realllllly understand the Restoration before we move on to the Plan of Salvation.  They are from a member family and they are scheduled to get baptized at the end of March.

What a week!

Love,
Sister Nash


TRACTING!

Look at the moon! It's been so cloudy and foggy recently!
And rainy. It was raining like 30 seconds ago and will probably rain again in like a minute


The sunsets here as sooooooooooooo orange!

Not a bad place to be......


We have seen this sign at multiple houses.  No lie.
#thesouth

No comments:

Post a Comment