Sunday, April 12, 2015

My Week! (March 31 – April 5)

Time is flying!!  I feel like I was JUST sitting at the computer here at the library trying to come up with a more creative subject line that "My Week."  The struggle is real. 

This week was exciting!!  Isn't every week?  Clearly the highlight of this week was General Conference, but we'll backtrack until we reach that point...

This week started out rough because we didn't have the car and just being on bikes makes it really hard to be really effective missionaries.  I love riding my awesome new bike, but we can't bike too far (our area is HUGE) and we can't bike at night and biking takes forever to get places... so it's just a struggle.  We did a looot of tracting early in the week.  Which was good!  We've been giving out "Because He Lives" cards with the link to the video online for Easter.  I LOVE that video!  Oh it's so good.  I've seen it so much this week and it is SO good every single time!! 

We got the car on Wednesday!!!!  We needed ice cream that day, so we went through the drive-thru at McDonalds.

On Tuesday, we followed up with a man we found while tracting.   We had left him a Book of Mormon but he told us that he has the Bible so he hadn't read it.  As we were leaving, I was telling him that the Book of Mormon is all about Jesus Christ and he was like "No it's not" so I said "How do you know? Have you read it??" and he said that he hadn't and he apologized and said he'd read it.  He was nice.  He was really curious about everything when we left so I'm excited to see him again on Tuesday!  Every single time we leave he says, "See you ‘round like a donut!" 

Every Tuesday and Thursday morning we sing songs for a devotional at the nursing home right by our house! It's interesting.  They had an Easter tree in the lobby so I just had to take a picture :)  People in the south leave their Christmas trees up after Christmas to decorate it for Mardis Gras.  I didn't realize that Easter trees were a thing too.)



CONFERENCE WAS SO GOOD! We watched the first 3 sessions at the church.  A family that we’re teaching came to watch conference on Saturday morning and we made bags of candy for the kids (every time they heard a certain word they would eat a certain type of candy).  After about 1 ½ hours, the mom leaned over and told us "they're getting really hyper from all this candy."  #oops

I think my favorite talks were President Eyring's talk right at the beginning of conference and then President Uchtdorf's yesterday.  Both so good.  And 3 new temples!

We watched the last session of conference at a member family's house.  Their little puppy wasn't all that interested in conference...



Easter was good!  I wore a bow in my hair and my flowery print skirt so I felt like a 5 year old.  It was awesome.  I hid some eggs around the apartment Saturday night and my companion went on a hunt in the morning!  We went to a member’s house for dinner and they had Easter baskets for us!!!  Oh it was so sweet.

I'm probs going to have to start saying "Ma'am?" when I need someone to repeat something.  ‘Cause right now I just say "What?" and I'm starting to feel rude.  
SCENE:
Someone else: "akldjf;alkdjf;aldkjf;A;a"
Me: "Whut?"

While the same situation:
Someone else: "lakjd;lkfaj;dlskjfa;ds"
Literally anyone else in the South: "Ma'am?"  Or "Sir?" as appropriate
It just seems so much more polite. Probably because it is. :) 

The only really good church sign I saw this week was  "3 nails plus 1 cross equals 4given."  #clever

Oh - someone told us Saturday as we tracted during sessions of conference: "Have a good Resurrection weekend!"  That was interesting.  I think that might have been the pastor we talked to.  She was nice.

Okay the last thing to tell you was about last night!  We tracted in an apartment complex this week and had an appointment to see someone last night at 7:30.  We show up and no one answers.  So, even though it was dark and rainy, we decided to tract the complex some more to give away the rest of our Because He Lives cards (it was well lit).  Well, we walked to a different building and stood outside a door trying to figure out how many more cards we had left to give out (we were supposed to give them all out) and a lady came back from taking out the trash!  So we started talking to her.  And then her husband came out and started talking to us.  And then he invited us in.  And then we talked to them for like an hour.  Mostly, the husband told us about how he does humanitarian work to fix up Katrina'd houses for people who can't afford it and he wanted our help.  We told him that we don't have any money to donate but we can ask someone in our church to help and we would LOVE to come help paint or something.  So after he talked, he said, "Well you heard my rant. What's yours?"  So we shared the video with them and told how we teach about Christ.  And then they said, "Yeah, we're looking for a church."  And then they told us that their door is always open to us to come back and talk about Christ any time and do we need dinner?  Because they would LOVE to feed us dinner.  WHAT?  It was so perfect.  The whole time we were like "Is this really happening?"  They are so open.  I'm so excited that we found them!!!  It was so perfect.

Man what a week. 

I'm scared that transfers are coming because 1) I could TRAIN (WHUT?  That's terrifying!) and 2) I'll for sure be in charge of this area no matter who my new companion is! That's scarrrrryyy!!! But it will be okay.  It will mean that I'll have 3 months done! Missions really do fly by…

Love,
Sister Nash

#katrina'd

  




These sculptures along Beach Blvd are made out of trees that were Katrina'd!

No comments:

Post a Comment